Who is affected?
The new regulations can be found in the Government publication 'Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022'
The regulations cover premises:-
• Privately rented property
• Social housing
• New build properties
What has changed?
The new law states that:-
- One smoke alarm is equipped on each storey of the property where there is a room used as living accommodation
- A carbon monoxide alarm is equipped in any oom used as living accommodation which contains a fixed combustion appliance (excluding gas cookers)
- All smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are repaired and replaced once informed and found that they are faulty
Which alarms are compliant?
- All alarms must be tested and certified to British Standard 5839-6.
- If using battery powered alarms, they must be 'sealed for life' batteries